Sunday, October 10, 2010

Color, color, color ... Indian Night 2010

Have you ever seen an Indian sari? This is a colorful, beautiful garment worn mostly by Indian women. My wife and I attended Indian night last night at the local university (our second time) and enjoyed an incredible evening. First we got in line for a small buffet of Indian dishes (way spicy for my wife's stomach, but I enjoyed it.) Then several local Indians (people from India, not Native Americans) put on a show that brought out multiple rounds of clapping. Native dances were performed. Native songs were sung. And a fashion show of sorts, with runway and everything, capped off the night as many colorful saris and other Indian dress were displayed.

The thing I enjoyed most about the evening was getting to learn more about such an interesting culture. It is wonderful to see the good parts of such a diverse world. With all the turmoil seeing good people with a different way of living and who worship in a different way than I do makes my heart sing. These are good people with a rich culture that dates back many years. If you have an opportunity to see people of a culture you may be unfamiliar with showcasing that culture, you owe it to yourself to take advantage of the opportunity. You'll learn, you'll enjoy, and you just might come away with a new love for the people who are slightly different than you are.

1 comment:

  1. Cool post, Charlie. I am not so big on Indian food, like your wife, but do find the culture fascinating. Sounds like a fun evening.

    ReplyDelete