Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Lord's Suffering

Sunday evening and time to talk about something that bothers me now and again. It bothers me because I am the type of person I'm going to talk about now. We all have our struggles - the challenges our Lord places in our path back to Him - and we each cope with them in different ways. But one thing I've noted as strikingly similar and that is we all finds ways to complain.

At work we complain about the long hours or our boss who doesn't understand us and has his/her own agenda. We are frustrated with the long lines at the store, or the heavy traffic, or the children who also have their own agenda. We wonder why we were chosen to have to bear so much.

Now, when I begin to realize these feelings have overtaken me, and they do, I make an effort to refocus. I refocus and I encourage all who fall into this complaining trap to also refocus on the one person who suffered most of all. Our Lord and Savior, who I love more than anyone else, suffered at Gethsemane to the point of bleeding from every pore. And yet not a single word of complaint came forth from His mouth. So when we think about the things that weigh us down and overwhelm us in our mortal journey let us consider the Lord's suffering. For me, at least, my trials are really put in perspective.

Charlie

2 comments:

  1. When I was young I was around a lot of Navajo Indians. They believe that when they think bad things, it causes bad things. Actually, it's even bigger than that. They believe if they think bad things it causes other people to think bad things and that in turn can cause bad things to happen.

    When I was young I thought this was kind of silly. I don't anymore. When I am around someone who thinks bad things, I know it causes me to be depressed. And I have come to believe that the spirit of negative thoughts does sp[read between people and effects the final outcome of events.

    The Navajos have special celebrations (Sings) to get people to think positively and concentrate on what is good. Some days I think I need a daily "Sing". Thanks for your effort to help us all think positively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Gary. Thanks for the comment. I did not know that about the Navajos.

    ReplyDelete